Watercolor for Beginners
Tuesdays 1:30PM - 4:00PM
Session 1: 9/18, 9/25, 10/2, 10/9
Session 2: 10/23, 10/30, 11/6, 11/13
$150 Per Session
Have you ever wanted to learn watercolor but need to start at the very beginning? This class starts out with papers, paints, brushes, basic techniques, intermediate techniques, and then adding mixed media! You will practice techniques along with the teacher and then use those techniques to create a painting each week.
Several full size sheets of watercolor paper (22" x 30”), preferably Arches 140 cold press.
Tubes of paint (preferably professional watercolor). Suggested colors:
And if you can afford to add some extras:
Quinacridone Burnt Orange
Quinacridone Burnt Scarlet
Payne’s Grey or Neutral Tint
A plastic palette that holds at least 20 colors with a lid.
Watercolor brushes (synthetic are fine) a #10, 16 round, a 1/2”, 1” flat and a 2-3” wash brush.
Paper towels (Viva works best), old washcloths.
Also bring a couple pencils, eraser and a sketch book. Doesn’t need to be fancy, just a book you can draw and plan in!
• BFA Studio Art, with an emphasis on watercolors, December 2014, University of North Texas, Denton
• Intensive workshops with masters, Jane Jones, Timothy J. Clark, Karlyn Holman, Nel Dorn Byrd, 2008-2016
• One Woman Show, Intuition, The Cove, McKinney, TX, March 2017
• One Woman Show, Peonies en Transit, Haley-Henman Contemporary, Dallas, TX May 2016
• One Woman Show, Rusted Elements, The Martin Place, McKinney, TX June 2015
• Collin County Art Show, Church Hall, McKinney, TX March 2015, 2016
• Ne Plus Ultra, A Watercolor Exhibition, UNT Cora Stafford Gallery, Nov. 2014
• The Art Club of McKinney Centennial Exhibition, Heard-Craig Hall, Nov. 2014
• Essential Transition, A Watercolor Exhibition, UNT North Gallery, October 2014
• And Then…, A Collaborative Exhibition, UNT Lightwell, Sept. 2014
• Against the Current Watercolor Show, UNT Cora Stafford Gallery, Denton, TX, 2014
• All Class Watercolor Show, Lightwell Gallery, UNT, Denton, TX 2013
• Ebb and Flow Watercolor Show, UNT Cora Stafford Gallery, Denton, TX, 2013
• McKinney Unique by Nature juried Show, McKinney, TX, 2013-2017
• North Gallery Watercolor Show, UNT , Denton, TX 2012
• Collin County Art Show, McKinney, TX 2008,2009, 2010, 2011, 2013,2015
• Southwestern Watercolor Society Show, Plano, TX, juried national show, 2011, 2010
• Royal Lane Baptist, Dallas, TX, juried show, 2011
• Kathryn Heard juried show, McKinney, TX, 2011
• The Martin Place, Small Works Show, Second Place, 2016 cash award
• The Martin Place, Small Works Show, People's Choice, 2015 cash award
• Collin County Art Show, People's Choice Award, 2016, cash award
• Collin County Art Show, People's Choice Award, 2015, two cash awards
• Collin County Art Show, 2011 Best of Show, 1st Place Watercolor, two cash awards
• Royal Lane Baptist Faith in the Arts, 2011, People’s Choice, cash award
• Collin County Art Show, 2009, Founders Award, cash award
• Collin County Art Show 2008, Beginners Award, cash award
• Intuition, The Cove, 2017
• Rusted Elements, The Martin Place, 2015
• Collin County Adult Art Show 2015, 2016
• Essential Transition, a Watercolor Exhibition, North Gallery, UNT, 2014.
• Commissioned Cover Art for Non-Fiction Book, “A Place at the Table”, 2014.
• The Artist Showplace, Dallas, TX
• LAST Gallery, McKinney, TX
• Original artworks and glicees are sold at The Martin Place, McKinney, TX
• Commissioned pieces and framed artworks have been sold to customers throughout the US., 2008-current
• Watercolor/Mixed Media Instructor, 2016-present
• President, The Art Club of McKinney, the oldest art club in the state of Texas, 2014-2015
• Owner of Mesilla Valley Snacks 1984-2009, formerly, the largest vending corporation in NM
• Costume designer and costume mistress of the Las Cruces Chamber Ballet. I re-designed and re-built the ballet,company’s stock of costumes after a fire destroyed a twenty year collection, 1998-2003
• Co-owner of The Plant Shop, Athens, GA, horticulture specialist